Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The results are in

I finally got the results of my MRI yesterday. I have torn cartilage in my wrist. The official name is a TFCC tear. I will be having surgery on June 26th. I'm not quite sure how I managed to tear the cartilage. I didn't do anything to injure it really. It just started hurting one day and instead of getting better it just kept getting worse. Now it's to the point that I can't do very much with it at all. It's been hurting about 6 weeks now.

I will be unable to use my arm at all for about 2 weeks after surgery. I will probably be in a cast that goes from just above the elbow to my fingertips. The good news is that I'm right-handed and the surgery will be on my left wrist. But, all day today I'd do something that required both hands and wonder how I'll do it when I can't use my left hand. I hate to ask other people to do things for me. The first thing I thought of was that I probably won't be able to shave under my arms. Weird, I know, but I don't want to be all furry. Of course, I'd only be furry under one arm. Michael said he'd help me shave if he has to. Ah, my knight in shining armor.

On the diabetes front, things have been very good. I'm almost afraid to write it for fear that I will jinx it or something. He's had a few highs and a few lows, but mostly he's been right on target. For example, his sugars today have been: 155, 128, 85, 167, 80, 118, 173, 143, and 103. Yesterday: 171, 101, 100, 163, 263, 87, 116, 87, 160. See, diabetes just had to throw that 263 in there to remind me who's boss. His sugars have been really good for the last couple of weeks. I don't know if it's because things are finally starting to click with the pump or if he's just honeymooning. But, I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

ScW said...

Hate to hear about the wrist. Hopefully you'll be good as new in no time.

Those blood sugars are spectacular! I wish Grayson's were that good. I think we had a good day today, but the last few weeks have been a real struggle.

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,

Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery, but hopefully it will sort your pain out.

Through all my time in plaster and on crutches, including right now, I understand your feelings about not being able to do things and not liking to ask for help. I have learned the hard way that it is ok to ask for help and the people who matter will gladly give it... like Michael. Oh, and the moment anyone offers you help, take them up on it... straight away!

The sugars rock!