Thursday, May 21, 2009

Field Day

Riley has a field day today. I’m trying not to think about it too much, but I can’t really help it. I know in my head that stressing over it and worrying about it won’t help any at all. But, I can’t seem to help myself.

I’ve debated over and over what I should do with his basals today. I finally decided that I would do nothing; mainly, because I didn’t know what else to do.

I don’t know how active he’ll be. I don’t know what time the games are, all I know is that it’s an all day event. So, there’s really not much I can do but pray and wait and see what happens.

I debated about switching him from his weekday basal to his weekend. His weekend basal is lower. For some reason when he’s at school he needs an increased basal from the hours of 11-2. He doesn’t need that on the weekends. Then, I decided that didn’t really make any sense. He’s eating lunch and snack at the same time, so he probably still needs the increase at that time.

But, the last two mornings he’s gone low, not too terribly low, but low, between breakfast and lunch. So, this morning I decreased his breakfast bolus just a smidge to see if that will help. Two days of 60-70s at those times is not enough for me to want to change basals, especially since he was high all day on Monday with no low in site.

So, I sit and wait. I know he’ll be OK. I sent his teacher a note reminding her to take juice out with her and to let her know that Riley may need to check more often just to see where he is. I just hope a stupid low doesn’t ruin his fun.

I long for a day when Riley can just be, and not have to worry about diabetes interrupting his life.


(**edit: At 9:50 I got a call from Riley's teacher. They were getting ready to go out for field day and Riley's sugar was 64. She treated and he only came up to 69. I told her to give him another juice box. In case I haven't said it lately: I HATE DIABETES!!!!)

4 comments:

k2 said...

Hang in there!
Riley won't let a stupid low ruin his fun, he'll work with it and learn from it-and so will you.
Maybe he should lower his basal a bit,or maybe not. But you have to experiment according to the situation and see what happens, which is exactly what your doing!
(((HUGS))))
k2

Jill said...

Oh gosh! I was just talking to the lady in charge of our field day (June 12) about what to do about Kacey. I didn't know if I should disconnect her or not? I wanted to volunteer but instead I'm going to be a floater while Kaceys class is out there. That way I can be closeby if she needs me but not hover over her. Days like those worry me!

How did he do after the juice? Was he able to participate? I sure hope so!

:) Tracie said...

I'll be out running a booth on field day. I've got a great partner who can cover me for when Jessi needs me. The other years she's done fine...but I was there too. This will be our first year with the pump though, maybe I should disconnect her...hmmm.
Freedom AND fun, I'm sure she'd love that!

I'm sure Riley was ok. I'll bet he only talked about how much fun he had.

And yes, I fully agree...diabetes sucks.

Kelly said...

Crazy how field day is so stressful for us isn't it? Happy thats over for both me and you! They had fun, I guess thats what matters :)