Monday, July 24, 2006

My Opinion

Because I said I would let you know my feelings about the whole "should people with D have kids" debate, here it is.

When I first clicked on the link (debating the issue) I got angrier and angrier with each comment I read. Then, a few hours later I calmed down enough to think rationally.

First, I felt sorry for the person who said that they would have rather not been born than to have diabetes. It's just my opinion, but from reading their comments, they probably would have felt that way about themselves even without D.

Then, I realized I wasn't upset because someone may decide not to have child because they are afraid to pass diabetes onto them. That's a personal decision for them to make. I realized what upset me so much is that people were telling other PWDs what they should and shouldn't do. How dare they say my child shouldn't have children. It's really none of their business whether he has children or not. That's Riley's decision to make with his future spouse.

I made the decision not to have any more children the day that Riley was diagnosed. I came to this decision because I didn't want to take the risk of having another child with D. I didn't make this decision because I think that there are enough people with D in the world. I made the decision because I couldn't imagine taking care of another child with D. So, my reason was purely selfish.

But, if I knew before I got pregnant that Riley would get D, I still wouldn't have changed a thing. I can't imagine my life without him, diabetes and all.

And, just because I don't want to risk having any more children with D doesn't mean I think other mothers shouldn't do it. Like I said before, it's a personal decision.

So, to those of you out there who feel like people with D shouldn't have children, just worry about your own life and leave them alone. I'll say pass a law to prohibit people with D from having kids as soon as one is passed saying ignorant people can't procreate either.

No comments: