Friday, October 06, 2006

Today

Today is the day. I posted yesterday because I didn't think I'd be able to post today. But, somehow, today, I'm OK. The emotions from yesterday have passed. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad. But, it's not like yesterday. It's more of a nagging- in- the- back- of -my- mind sad. Just enough emotion to remind me that a year ago today was a very bad day. I had actually gotten better by last night. Michael had a softball game and on the way home from that I was laughing and singing along with the radio. He thought I had lost my mind. I told him. "Leave me alone. I've cried all day. I'm tired of crying."

Today, I'm tired of crying. I'm tired of letting diabetes dictate how I feel. I woke up this morning and one of the first things I thought is, "you have a choice to make". I'm a firm believer that most people are as happy as they let themselves be. Baring any chemical imbalances, we all decide how we are going to react to certain situations and how we are going to let situations or people make us feel.

Today, I cannot change the past, but I can look forward to the future. A future, not with complications, but with new technologies and possibly a cure.

Today, I am thankful for all the blessings that I have in my life. I have a roof over my head, food on the table, 2 beautiful boys, and a loving husband.

Today. my son has had diabetes for one full year.

Today, I'm at peace with that.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Big Hugs coming your way. I found the days leading up to the actual anniversary were worse than the actual day itself.

You deserve a huge pat on the back - look at how far you and your son have come in one year! You're doing a terrific job - both of you :)

Sandra Miller said...

Penny,

You and your family have come such a long way this past year.

And each and every time I read one of your posts, I think the same thing:

That Riley is one lucky little boy.

Brittney said...

I agree with Jamie. Dreading the date is worse then the actual day. I found that out last month.

I hope you and Riley had a good day together.

Anonymous said...

Penny,
Congrats on a year of growth and self discovery. Your family has done an awesome job in taking control of the D and helping Riley be a happy, healthy young man.
Good luck on the walk. Action is the best way to handle things that seem overwhelming. You are a wonderful mom and we see that in your kids with every story.

Shannon said...

You've done an amazing job in the past year.

I've always been so impressed with you.