Friday, September 07, 2007

Lunch Lady Land

I met with the lunch lady today to look at carb counts. She was very nice and accommodating. I looked at every can and box and saw what the carb count is per serving. The only problem is knowing how much of the serving Riley is actually getting at each meal. But, now I can at least make an educated guess as to how many carbs he's eating.

She was very nice. Her husband has Type 2 and she had a little bit of knowledge about carbohydrates. But, when I asked to see the ice cream cups to see how many carbs are in them I got a look. You know the one. The "should-you-really-be-feeding-your-kid-that" look.

So, I took that time to educate her about the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 and while her husband may be insulin resistant Riley does not make any insulin at all. I explained it to her like this, "When you eat ice cream your pancreas spits out insulin to cover that ice cream. Riley's does not. So, when he eats ice cream he has to take insulin through his pump to cover the ice cream. So, he can eat ice cream just like anyone else, he just has to take insulin for it."

I thought I got my point across. But, then she told me about "A" who is in high school and has D and how he eats too much candy. Well, I happen to know that A is very vigilant with his care. So, I proceeded to tell her that if A is eating candy then I'm sure he's taking insulin for it or he's eating it because his sugar is low.

All in all it went well. Like I said she was very nice. It just bothers me to think that when I let Riley have ice cream that people think I'm killing him.

But, I digress. Riley gets to eat cafeteria food next week and he's happy about that.

Since I had a meeting with the lunch lady today I have been singing the Adam Sandler song in my head for the last two days. I found this clip from Saturday Night Live. I am an Adam Sandler and a Chris Farley fan. This is one of the funniest skits I've ever seen. (Yeah, I have a weird sense of humor)

I hope you enjoy and I hope all of you have a great weekend.


Check out this video: adam sandler and chris farley, lunch lady land



Add to My Profile More Videos

2 comments:

Donna said...

The video was hilarious! Thanks for sharing. (I'm an Adam Sandler fan, too.)

I think it's great that your son gets to eat cafeteria food (as strange as that sounds). I was never able to do that when I was in grade school since we didn't have pumps back then (the seventies).

This will probably help him feel more like a regular kid. So I think it is so wonderful that he can do this. I hope he does well with it. Good luck!

Minnesota Nice said...

Penny, I had never seen that video - it was perfect.

Sounds like Riley is doing well - I can't say I'd be excited about eating the school lunch, but I understand why he is.

You guys all make such a great team. Go!!!!!