Thursday, June 12, 2008

2 More Days

That's how long I have at my old job, today and tomorrow. Then, I will officially be a school nurse. I am excited and scared all at the same time.

I have been working as a home health nurse almost 10 years now. I like my job. I like the people I work with. It would be so much easier to leave if I hated my job and the people I worked with were jerks.

I also love (most of) my patients. I have to be honest, there are some that I do a little dance when I leave their house for the last time. But, for the most part, I like all of my patients. There are a few that I've had the whole 10 years.

There is one in particular that is like family to me. The first thing he says when I walk in the door is "How are my boys?" (talking about Holden and Riley.) He has a couple of pictures of Riley up in his room. I've taken the kids to visit him before. He's in his 60s. He was paralyzed in a car accident when he was 19 years old. Still, he's made the best of his life. I'm going to miss him. I'm sure I'll still visit from time to time, but it won't be the same.

I'm trying to focus on the positives of the new job, but it's hard to do when I'm still at the old one. I feel like I'm cheating on my home health job if I think about how great the other job will be.

Sometimes I panic and wonder what I was thinking taking the new job. Sure, the job I have now has it's moments, but so do all jobs. I have it good where I am now. I have a boss who is very laid back. I have a lot of flexibility in this job with my schedule. As long as my patients get taken care of it doesn't matter if I'm a little late in the morning (like every single morning).

But, then I remember why I wanted the school nurse position. I am excited about taking care of the kids with chronic diseases (diabetes and asthma are the two biggies). I am excited that I will be the air condition all day. Right now I'm in and out in 100 degree weather and I go in plenty of houses that all they have are box fans for cooling. No more going in roach infested houses. No more drug houses. No more getting called out at 3 in the morning to see a patient.

And, the icing on the cake with my new job is that I'll be home with my kids when they are home. I will have the whole month of July off, a few days at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, and the whole week after Easter off. So, will Michael and the kids. I'm really excited about that.

Still, I can't help but be a little sad about leaving my home health job. It's comfortable. I know what I'm doing. I know I like it.

Even though I'm sad that I'm leaving I'm looking forward to getting tomorrow over with, so that I can have it behind me and can look forward to learning all about the new job.

What my new job means for you guys is that I will have less time to blog. I blog a lot at work now when I have some free time. I don't think I'll be able to do that with my new job.

I'll post when I can and I will try my best to keep up with my usual blog reading.

If I don't get back anytime soon I hope you guys have a great summer.

4 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Penny,

Change is good, but it is still change. That usually means some adjustments and uncomfortable periods while you are transitioning. It's normal I think to be a little scared of it all.

I know you'll do fabulous, and wish you the best!

As for the blogging - we'll take whatever we can get whenever you can post. Don't let it be a stressor in your life though. Do it when you can and when you feel like it.

Take care and have fun!

k2 said...

Pen -
Your going to do great in your new job!

Change is scary and difficult, even when it's a good change and something that we've wished for.

dBlogville is here for you kiddo and all of us wish u luck! Do what u have to and then come on back and tell us all about it!
k2

Shannon said...

Have a great summer!! Keep us updated on how the job goes. I'm sure the kids' will provide plenty of stories.

Vivian said...

Penny, I am so excited for you!! Those families do not have a clue how blessed they are. I would love for you to be the school nurse at our school, you will do awesome. Maybe God has been preparing your heart and mind for this very position all this time. You have been on the other side of the desk from the school nurse and you have an empathy for these kids and the families that only special people have. Relax and enjoy your purpose. We are all pulling for you. =)