Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy

My last day at my home health job was on June (Friday the) 13th. The whole last week was a mixture of excitement and sadness.

It was really hard leaving some of my patient's houses for the last time. There was one patient that I never really bonded with but she had bonded with me. She really didn't want to see me go. I had to see her my next to last day of work. She was upset that I was leaving. After I left and got down the road I realized I had left my sunglasses at her house. I never went back and got them. I didn't want to have to say good-bye again. I guess she has something to remember me by.

I waited until my last day to pack up my desk. That was sad. And, my co-workers bought me some going away gifts and a sweet card on which they wrote some personal notes. I don't like to cry in front of people. So, I held it all in.

I left work at 5:00 on the dot. I cried all the way home. I couldn't believe I was leaving the job and the people I had worked with for the last 10 years. I didn't even know if I would like being a school nurse. And, they had hired someone to replace me already. So, I couldn't just go back to my old job if I didn't like the new one.

Fast-forward a week. I stopped by the office on Monday to drop off my beeper and my key. It was strange to see someone else's stuff on my desk. I didn't belong there anymore.

I love the other nurses that I'm working with. I love, love, love what school nursing is all about. Having a healthy kid promotes learning and I'm glad I'm going to be a part of making that happen. (And, the fact that I get off at 3:00 every day instead of 5 doesn't hurt either.)

So, to sum it up. I love my new job. I can't wait until August when I'll be in my own schools with my own kids. I will be split between two schools (both of them elementary schools). At first, I'll be at one 2 days a week and the other 3. But, once I get things settled I will be at the larger school 4 days a week and the other 1.

It wasn't but a couple of years ago that my cousin's wife (a school nurse) told me of an open position. I told her I was not interested in being a school nurse. I couldn't fathom being in one place all day taking care of kids.

Now, I can't imagine doing anything else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll do a wonderful job come fall.

Naomi said...

There is an article in today's Washington Post about how schools are scrambling to find enough nurses -- they are so short staffed! I'm glad that you love your new job, and I'm sure the school is very happy to have you!

Braden said...

I'm anxious to hear how things go for you. School Nursing is high on my list of alternative nursing careers. I currently work in the ER, and for now I can't imagine leaving where I am, but if I did...

Braden
http://20outof10.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

As a parent, I will tell you that having Brendon's school nurse care for him the way she did was the most precious thing I could've hoped for.

You know what it's like to need someone else to care for your child the way you would, so I'm happy to know other children will be lucky enough to have you as their nurse.