Monday, November 10, 2008

Late, as usual (My D-blog Post)

Yesterday was D-blog day. And, I missed it. I don't turn my computer on over the weekends, so please forgive me. Even though I'm late to the party I still wanted to put in my two cents worth.

This is my 3rd D-blog day post. Next week will mark my three year anniversary of blogging. I was in so much pain when I began this journey. Prior to starting my blog I had only read one blog post in my entire life. I didn't even know what blogging was. All I knew was that I needed an outlet for my pain. This blog became my outlet.

Because this blog was my outlet you guys who have been reading from the beginning got a glimpse into my soul. In the beginning I let the anger and pain pour out. I shared my tears and my frustrations on a regular basis. I was overwhelmed, tired, frustrated, and grieving.

Instead of getting comments about how I should just get over it or comments about how I was so negative, I got comments of encouragement. I got internet (((hugs))) and offers of virtual shoulders to cry on. I got empathy and understanding. I met a great group of parents of kids with D. And, then I met the PWDs themselves who gave me a glimpse into what Riley might be feeling.

I met people who knew first-hand what the D-life was all about. And, while they may have not been in the same stage of grief as me, they understood my need to be there.

To all of you guys I have to say thank you for sharing your stories and thank you for reading mine. Thank you for all the hugs, well-wishes, and shared tears.

Anyone else reading this might find this corny and sappy. But, I know you guys (affected by D) won't. I know you guys understand where I'm coming from and why I feel such a strong sense of camaraderie with you all.

Just like you understand the frustration of a sugar of 350 when you've done everything "right". Just like you understand why I go in the bathroom and cry after a bad site change. Just like you understand that sometimes you've just got to vent to move on.

Thanks again guys. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

11 comments:

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Right back at ya, Penny :)

Keith said...

Good idea to not turn on the computer on the weekends... I don't think I could do it, but nonetheless a good idea!

Take care, you're doing a super job!

Lee Ann Thill said...

A belated Happy D-Blog Day to you too :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Happy D-Blog day Penny! I appreciate all that you have shared, and am touched that we were able to offer you some help with a difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a post yesterday but I didn't get to commenting until today if that makes you feel any better.

I both love and hate the fact that there are so many d-blogs out there!

Anonymous said...

happy d-blog hon! i miss our d-365 days.

meanderings said...

Nope, not at all corny or sappy. Happy day after d-blog day!

Caro said...

Belated Happy D-Blog Day!

As I person with diabetes, I appreciate the perspective of you parents. I never really understood what this was like for my own parents until I read blogs like yours, Penny. And it means a lot to me.

Keep at it!

Minnesota Nice said...

Absolutely, Shannon.
You are a great lady and a cool mom.
My best to you!!

Jill said...

Happy Belated D-Blog Day Penny :)

Sandra Miller said...

Your posts have always struck a powerful chord for me, Penny.

Thank you... and here's a few more virtual (((hugs))).

Happy D-Blog Day. :-)