Monday, December 08, 2008

Four

That's the number of birthday parties Riley attended this week. One was a party at school. The other three were all this weekend.

Things eaten at said parties:
cupcake, Doritos, cake, hot dog, potato chips, cookie, cake, peanut butter ball, sausage balls, Cheetos, crackers, cake, ice cream.

His sugars are still on the high side most days. I'm finding that blood sugar control has become much harder over the last several months. Riley's endo thinks that the "honeymoon" (what a stupid word for it) has finally ended for good. This means his pancreas doesn't help out at all anymore.

It just makes me want to cry. But, I won't. Past experience tells me it won't do any good.

3 comments:

Lee Ann Thill said...

I usually feel better after a good cry. releases the frustration, and gets me in a better mind-set to re-frame the problem. I sympathize though, and really hope you can believe this is just a rough patch that will pass. We all have them, but insulin doses are readjusted and things settle. Remember, it's OK to be high as long as you're doing what you can to correct it. We should always be blessed with problems that always have a solution :)

Allison said...

Considering how long Riley has had diabetes, I imagine his honeymoon has been gone for quite some time. I don't think most honeymoons last for more than a year. Gary Scheiner once told me that when you start waking up high, that means your body is no longer able to keep you steady even when you have no food and aren't moving. Most likely, Riley is growing, and this is hormones, so you'll be dealing with this for awhile. Making constant adjustments is important. Diabetes is, as I've always said and thought, not a "fix and walk away" disease like so many people think it is (not you, personally, just "people"). If you have questions, let me know.

Amy said...

I'm there with you this week as we have 2 Xmas parties plus a birthday to attend- with the question of course being- do I let her indulge and how much do I let her indulge. I think another tearful sad face from her would be more than I could stand. Sending you big hugs and lots of prayers.