Monday, December 15, 2008

1.9%

As is the usual with this blog I have poured out my pain and dispair in the last couple of posts. I started this blog to be a help to other parents going through the same thing. As I've said before, it became more of a help to me.



When I'm having a bad day D-wise I come here and vent. I talk about the highs and the lows. I speak of the pain this disease has caused me as well as my fears. Every once in a while you'll get an uplifting post from me, but not very often.



It's kind of like when you get good service at a restaurant, you appreciate it, but you don't say much about it. But, if you go to a restaurant and get horrible service you tell everyone you know.



When I'm getting horrible service with diabetes I write about it here.



98% of the time diabetes is way far in the back ground. It gets the time and attention it needs and deserves and then I move on. Occasionally, I get in a rut and the other 2% comes out in my posts.



Right now I'm very happy. For one, this is the last week of school before Christmas break. Since I am a school nurse now my whole family is pretty much on the same schedule. My kids, Michael, and I all get out 1/2 a day on Friday. Then, we don't have to go back to school until January 5th. I can't even convey in this post the excitement that brings to me.



Earlier today the teacher next door and I actually counted up the seconds we have left before Christmas break. It doesn't sound as long when you put it in seconds.



I can't wait to be at home for a couple of weeks with my family.



I'm somewhat happy diabetes-wise too. We've had a rough couple of months. Riley's sugars have been high and it seemed that no matter what I did they would stay that way. Now, he's starting to even out some. It has taken several weeks of increasing his basal to finally get to where we are now. I guess I should have been a little more aggressive with the increases, but I was trying to avoid lows too.



Riley is so excited about Christmas. I love to see the smile on his face and the glimmer in his eye every time we move the candy cane on Santa's beard to count down the days until Christmas.



Every day is exciting to him. I am trying to catch a little bit of the excitement myself, trying to see the world through his eyes.



I'm trying to let the little things go. I'm trying to focus on the good and pray my way through the bad. I'm learning to let the laundry pile up (didn't take too much persuasion for that) and instead spend time with my kids.



As far as Riley is concerned diabetes is in the background 99.9% of the time. I'm trying to learn from him how to get my other 1.9%

6 comments:

Allison said...

Riley is young, so obviously he doesn't really have the mental capacity to think far off in the future, like us grown-ups do (yay us!). But I think we should all aspire to be more childlike in some ways. That excitement that comes with each day. I know for me, the routine of plain old life is enough to get me down sometime. Having a little more joy about things is always a good thing to try for.

Jill said...

I hope you have a nice and relaxing holiday! You deserve it :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

A great way to look at it Penny. 1.9%.

Chris said...

It is funny how the percentage ratio changes from time to time.
Penny you are a exceptional Mom and great friend.
Keep it up and have a great holiday and i look forward to pictures on here by the end of the holidays!

Penny said...

Allison,
I'm really trying to stop sweating the small things and start enjoying life. Riley is a great example of that for me.

Jill,
Same to you.

Scott,
It does put it into perspective a bit.

Chris,
It's great to hear from you again. Your Emma is getting so big. I will try to post some pictures after Christmas. I haven't posted any pictures in a while.

Carolyn said...

Hi, my son has diabetes, too. Mine is 17 and was diagnosed in December 2005. I am also an RN and recently started to blog about health issues.

My son has the Animas 2020. I recently posted about Diabetes and Grief and just noticed that you did the same thing quite a while back. I'd love to hear from you.