Friday, April 24, 2009

I am Blessed

Two weeks ago, on Good Friday, a 7 year old boy in my town was killed in an ATV accident. Even though I am not a fan of 4 wheelers and my kids are not allowed on them because I think they are dangerous, from what I understand it was a pretty freak accident. The boy's dad was following him in his truck and the boy was wearing a helmet. It seems things happened just right to cause his death.

His death hit me pretty hard. I didn't really know the little boy. He was in 2nd grade at Riley's school and I'd seen him before because he played soccer in the same league as Riley. But, I've known his dad for 30 years. We went to elementary school together. We were never good friends or anything. But, we still live in the same small town and he always goes out of his way to speak to me whenever he sees me. He's one of those people who seem to always have a smile on his face.

Riley had a soccer game tonight. The little boy who was killed, Henry, has a little sister that plays soccer. Tonight all of the kids wore a black ribbon in memory of him. His parents were there along with his 4 sisters. I sat and watched all of them and a lump formed in my throat.

I am in awe of what a person can endure. I know how hard this must be for them. Yet, they were there smiling and watching their daughter play soccer. They go on with their life, not because they want to, but because they don't have a choice. Life goes on, even when you wish it wouldn't.

It's times like this that I feel ashamed for ever feeling sorry for myself, for ever grieving over Riley's disease. I am so blessed to have him at all. I'm sure Henry's dad would rather every single one of his children have diabetes and still have Henry with him.

If you get a chance remember the Spruill family in your prayers. And hug your kids a little tighter tonight when you tuck them into bed.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Funny you should post this, my husband was just sharing a story with me about a 2-year old little boy who is now brain dead because his family's car was hit by a habitual drunk driver. My husband was saying that stories like this make him ashamed he ever gets frustrated and upset with Elise having diabetes. And I completely agree. We have friends that lost their son when he was born at 28 weeks gestation. I'm sure they would take a dx of diabetes any day if it meant they could have their little boy in their arms right now. It just takes a little perspective to understand how blessed we are.

Anonymous said...

How tragic - my prayers are with them. You words are beautiful