Wednesday, October 06, 2010

A Five Year Battle

Five years ago today my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I don’t have the energy, either physical or emotional to write an actual blog post about it.

Right now I am exhausted. I was up late doing a site change and then up every two hours all night checking sugars. So, yeah, I’m tired. Not just because of last night, but because of the last five years. I’m just tired of it all.

But, I felt like I had to come here and acknowledge this day in some way. I know this blog post isn’t the most uplifting, and I’m sorry about that. I can barely keep my eyes open, let alone put together a coherent post summing up the last 5 years of life.

All I can say is that we’re still here. We’re still fighting. Five years later we’re still determined to fight a battle that seems will never end. Actually, Riley is fighting the battle, I’m just the one on the sidelines trying to make the strategic maneuvers that will hopefully keep him safe for one more day. Today I feel like waving the white flag, but I know I can’t. A little boy who means everything in the world to me looks to me to lead him in this battle that he didn’t chose. The enemy just snuck up on him and we’ve been on the defensive ever since.

He’s been fighting this battle for 1,825 days now. There have been no cease fires called, not for birthdays, holidays, or even the middle of the night.

He needs a cure. It’s as simple as that. He needs a cure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We made it to the 5 year mark in July.

And your post here sums it up completely....

marshfam said...

Well, for an exhausted mind you sure said it perfectly. We're now in it eight months. I will never forget reading your blog when I was a frightened mother considering the possibility that my son was diabetic. That feels like a lifetime ago. The days and nights sure can get long and exhausting. Thanks for all of your posts, they have really helped us, and many others I imagine.

KP said...

God bless you and every other person that has to deal with diabetes--directly or indirectly. I have a sister-in-law and a nephew that both have diabetes and my heart goes out to them and their entire family. It is definitely a big challenge.

Oleg said...

прикольно