Well, we have decided on a pump, the Cozmo. It's kind of been my favorite from the beginning and I've gotten the best response from their customer service reps. The pumping class went well, I guess. I really didn't learn anything I didn't already know. I did get to play with the pumps a bit, which was nice. But, she didn't have a battery in the Cozmo, so all I could do was look at it. But I have played with the virtual pump plenty and I just like the menu. The DE was really pushing the Animas for Riley because it gives the lowest dose possible. Michael and I decided we just don't like the Animas. No offense to you who use them, but there is too much scrolling to do through the menu. I like that the Cozmo is designed more like a cell phone (as far as the face goes). I'm thinking about the future with this one too. When Riley starts school it's important to me that he has a pump that is easy to use. He will be attending a private school, so no nurse to help with it.
Now, I have been reading "Pumping Insulin" and have figured out a rough estimate of what Riley's basal rate will be. When I first figured it, well, the Animas was really the only option (other than diluting insulin, which I'm not interested in either, since you can't dilute NovoLog and Riley would have to switch to Humalog. I've pretty much got his peaks and things figured out with the Novo and I really don't want to start figuring out how he responds to Humalog while starting the pump too.) Anyway, I don't think Riley's basals will be low for too long. You see, we've had some rough past few days. For those of you who may have read previous posts, you know that Riley had a "perfect" day on Jan. 2. No sugars out of range. Well, the bliss ended just as quickly as it began. Starting on Jan 3rd his sugars were just high, high, high. There were a few that were OK. (His range is 80-140 before breakfast and 100-225 the rest of the day.) Well, on the 3rd they were : 176, 143, 260, 372, 285,280,222,327, 321, and 316. Then, on the 4th and 5th, not a single sugar in range. Not one. So, I'm thinking his Lantus needs to be increased. I'm comfortable with adjusting the Novo but I've never adjusted the Lantus before. Well, I called the endo. and faxed his sugars late Wednesday afternoon. I had to leave a message. It wasn't really urgent since I wasn't supposed to give his Lantus again until the next morning. Well, on Thursday morning, his sugar was 224. ( It had been 299 at 3 AM) So, I took it upon myself to increase his Lantus to a full unit all on my own. A little while later his endo. called and said that was exactly what needed to be done. She also said from looking at his sugars that he may need as much as 2 units a day, but we're going to increase in 1/2 unit increments and see how it goes. So, after 3 days (today is day no. 3) if his sugars are still >140 in the AM, I'm to up it another 1/2 unit. Well, I think that is going to happen. Yesterdays AM sugar wasn't so bad (150), but this morning it was 206. He still pretty much doesn't have any sugars in range. He even has some trace ketones sometimes. He doesn't feel sick though. We haven't had anymore 300s since the Lantus increase. I've also noticed I've had to up his carb coverage a bit too. The endo said not to give any Novo after 7 PM unless necessary if his sugar is >300. Well, he doesn't have those nighttime lows anymore that she was trying to prevent. So, I gave him 1/2 unit Novo last night at 10:20 PM for a sugar of 287. I told my husband his little body just did not need to be out of range all the time. So, I got up every hour last night until his Novo wore off. The lowest his sugar got was 134. So, I'm glad I gave him the Novo. But, then it was 206 this AM, so in the morning we will probably increase to 1 1/2 units of Lantus.
So, I'm going to call Dr. Morris Monday morning and talk about getting a pump. I'm going to tell her we want the Cozmo and see what she says. I've done my own little math and decided that I would be OK with the Cozmo as long as he gets his Lantus up to 2 units. Now, this is just my opinion. I don't know what the endo. will say. Michael and I have discussed it and decided that if she says he can go with the Animas now or wait until a certain level before getting the Cozmo, we are going to wait. We don't want to use a pump we don't really like just because he might need those lower basal rates for a few months.