Saturday, April 01, 2006

Getting comfy

I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with the pump. While there is still a lot I don't know, I feel like I know a little more than I did.

I've gotten more comfortable with decreasing his basals with exercise. For example, last night Holden had a basketball game. Riley usually plays a lot on the bleachers. I checked his sugar an hour after he had supper just because of all of his activity. He was 106. I decreased his basal by 50%. Then, I took into account that he still had plenty of his supper insulin in his system, so I gave him a juice box too. After his temp basal ended (in an hour) he was a wonderful 133. Yeah!

Then, last night, well actually 6 AM this morning, he was 84. I took into account how much his sugar usually drops between 6-8 AM and the fact that he probably wouldn't eat for another 2.5 hours and suspended his basal for 1 hour. Then at 7:00 AM, he was 91. So, I resumed his pump and just decreased his basal by 50%. He woke up at 8:15 with a sugar of 97. Yeah, again!!

I'm just celebrating a little, because I finally seem to be in a "pump mindset". Not too long ago if his sugar was 84, I would have woken him up and given him a cracker. This time, I thought to adjust the basals and it actually worked.

I really am liking this pump more and more. We haven't had any set problems in a while. His sugars the last couple of days have pretty much been in range. Our only sugar that is consistently out of range is 2 hours after his breakfast bolus. I think a carb adjustment is in order. Also, his nighttime (6-8 PM) sugars are running a little lower than I like, so maybe a little basal adjustment will do the trick. I just feel like it's finally starting to click with me. Like I finally get it. I still have a lot to learn, but this is the first time that I've just been really happy with our decision to go on the pump. His sugars have been good enough lately that I'm letting him have things I wouldn't have before. For example, we ate at a buffet for lunch. They had ice cream. I always tell Riley no, but today I said yes and just bolused him for it. We'll see what it does to his sugar. I guess I won't know until I try.

In other news, Holden's team has won their last two games. He's really starting to get in a groove with his team too. It's like this AAU thing is starting to click with him.

It's a beautiful day here. (78 degrees). Holden has baseball practice in a little bit. (a rec. team) Then, I'll probably cook something on the grill for supper and maybe watch the final four games tonight. All in all life if good. The next time I'm down about sugars or the pump, I'm going to try and remember days like this and remind myself that it will be like this again sometime.


8 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow. You're doing beautifully!!

GabrielleK-M said...

Fantastic! I think it just takes some time to get through the "learning curve" with pump therapy, until you really feel comfortable with all of the nuances. You should feel very proud. :)

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Just to let you know, his sugar post-ice cream was 177. Yeah, again!!

Anonymous said...

It's great that you have become so comfortable with the pump in such a relatively short time period! Ice cream is OKAY! It does not spike them and I guess because of the milk and fat it's a slower rise.

Major Bedhead said...

Whoooo! Can we say "Told ya so" now? ;-)

Nicole P said...

Congratulations, Penny! Great job! Nicole

Scott K. Johnson said...

Yay!

Kerri. said...

Congrats on your successes!

Here's to more!