Saturday, December 16, 2006

I have to post it too

I've seen this link on several other blogs and just had to put it on mine too.

Is it possible that they've been wrong all along? Diabetes isn't auto-immune, but neurological. Or both?

I don't know. I just know that reading it gave a boost to my hope. My hope (for a cure) has always been intact. I don't know if always will be. After 10 or so years of this disease, will I still feel the same way? I don't know. I hope I don't have to find out.

It's like I commented on Kerri's blog. I don't really think about a cure very often, hardly ever, really. Usually, I'm just trudging ahead taking care of the task at hand. Then, an article like that comes out and I'm stopped dead in my tracks. I stop long enough to ponder what it might mean. I think about what it will mean for my child and others like him if it comes to fruition. Then, I start putting one foot in front of the other again, taking care of the task at hand.

Except now, there's a little extra spring in my step.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny,
I've never believed that there will be a cure. I am the daughter of a type 1 diabetic who had had type 1 diabetes for around 30 years when I was diagnosed. She told me that she doesn't hold out waiting for a cure, and I don't either. I've never hoped. That is until Gracie. And it really isn't hope, but it is closer to a hope for a cure than anything I've ever had. I know that JDRF is more important to me than it ever has, and I think that maybe not for me, but perhaps for her, they will figure something out that is better than insulin. For her, my three year old. Sorry to hijack!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've never not "hoped" for a cure - but there have been many advances forward in finding the cure for this disease, but none have created such a stir as this one has, and I hope for good reason. It's different - it's taken on a new approach - a new discovery.

I must say, even if nothing comes of this for YEARS, it definitely has put a spring in my step as well!