Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The meeting

The meeting went well. The teacher was very receptive and didn't seem to get uneasy until I started talking about Glucagon. I told her chances are that Riley will never have to use it, but I want her to know how to use it if the need arises.

I sat there and reviewed the book with her. She didn't have a lot of questions. But, when I mentioned that if he is low at recess that he needs to wait for his sugar to rise above 90 before playing, she said "Well, what if I get him to check his sugar before recess?" Ah, music to my ears. I told her that for the first few weeks until I get his insulin figured out it might not be a bad idea.

I'm ready, I think. I might as well be. Riley starts school on Monday and he will be in someone else's care. I can't change that. All I can do is focus on the positives.

He will be fine. My head knows that. I just have to convince my heart to get on board.

It will come. I know the first few weeks will be the most challenging. Once Riley gets in a routine and I get his insulin needs figured out things will be better.

I believe in angels and I know that my special little man must have and equally special angel. (Not to mention an awesome big brother that will be there with him too.)

I haven't cried yet. I don't know if I will.

I'm just going to take things one day at a time.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Penny this is such an awesome post! It sounds like everything is due to work out well. I'm glad the teacher's attitude and receptiveness put you at ease :)

Danny Bradfield said...

We've been fortunate to have teachers with the right attitude for my son Ethan. What a blessing that is! BTW, if you haven't seen it, the current issue of People Magazine has an article about Nick Jonas of the teen music group the Jonas Brothers, and how he handles his type-1 diabetes. It's great.

Carey said...

Glad it went well. Will be thinking of you guys on Monday.

Chris said...

Penny, My son Cade started school a month ago - and like you it scared the living daylights out of my wife and I.
But it is going really, really well - our school has really stepped up an helped, even to the point of the receptionist (they don't have a nurse, so she does the first aid and takes care of Cade) asking for books so she can read up on treatment and management of diabetes.
Best of luck for the first day - but it sounds like you have supporting school and I know it will work out as well for you has the last month has for us.