Friday, March 27, 2009

TGIF (updates)

  • Riley had a filed trip yesterday. He was so excited. He loves getting to ride on the bus. The problem is that when Riley gets excited he tends to go low. He went to see a play. The night before the trip I set a basal just for the field trip. His eating schedule was going to be all screwed up. He usually eats lunch at 11:15 and snack at 2:15. But, because of the timing of the trip he ate a snack at 9:15 and didn't have lunch until almost 2:00. He did OK except for a couple of lows. When they arrived at the play he clocked in at 47. It was brought right back up by juice. Then, on the bus ride back he went in the 60s once and then hovered in the lower 80s until he had lunch. All in all, I'd say it was a success. The trip has been looming in my mind for over a week now. I'm glad it's behind us and that everything worked out OK. I didn't go with him for three reasons: 1) His teacher cares for his D every day and I knew she'd do OK with it. 2) I didn't want Riley to be the only one with a parent going. 3) The play was held in the same city where Michael works. I knew if anything major happened he'd be near-by to take care of it.

  • Holden's prom is tonight. It was all I could do last night when he dressed up in his tux not to cry. He looked so handsome and grown up. He will be heading to beach after the prom to spend a couple of nights with friends (and one friend's parents). I told Michael it will be a preview of what life will be like in a few months when he goes away to college. It's been a very long time since Holden spent a night away from home, let alone 2 nights in a row.

  • Riley's overnight sugars were excellent. Those sugars have been the hardest to wrangle in lately. He was 186 when Michael and I went to bed. He got a tiny .15 correction and the rest of his sugars were wonderful. He woke up with a sugar of 89 this morning. You gotta celebrate the small things, you know.

  • My favorite season is just around the corner. I love spring. I can't wait for it to warm up here and stay that way. We've had a few nice, warm days and then it will cool back down again. And, spring break is only 13 days away!!!! Michael and I will both be off of work and both of the kids will be out of school. I can't wait.

  • It was brought to my attention by a reader (hi Chris) that his daughter had noticed that Riley did not have a medical alert bracelet on in any of his pictures. Riley has had a couple of bracelets and a necklace over the last few years, but I've never been really strict about him wearing them. I guess because for the first couple of years he was hardly ever away from us. I started researching what jewelery other kids were wearing. I found Riley's old necklace. It's a little dog with a medical alert symbol on it. I made him start wearing it all the time. Holden wears some sort of necklace every day, either his purity rings or my dad's dog tags from Vietnam. So, Riley decided it was cool to wear a necklace because big brother Holden wears one. He did OK for the first few days, but then kept asking to take it off. I wouldn't let him. He's been wearing it for a couple of weeks now and doesn't seem to notice it at all anymore. And, I feel better, especially when he goes on trips like he did yesterday.

  • Next Saturday we will attend open house at the college that Holden will be attending. It will kind of be like a homecoming of sorts. Michael and I both attended college there. We will be looking at apartments that day also. It's just bringing us one step closer to Holden leaving home. sigh......

  • I haven't mentioned my dad in a while. Regular readers may remember that he was diagnosed with throat cancer back in August. Well he went through several weeks of chemo and radiation, several rough weeks which included a hospital stay, but now he's good. The treatments worked. He has no sign of cancer anywhere in his body now. Thank all of you for your prayers.

  • I guess that's it for now. I hope each of you have a wonderful and safe weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great update! Nikki tend to go sky high when she's nervous or excited - so things like dance recitals are always a challenge :-D; my older daughter Amber just attended her first formal - 8th grade - and I cried throughout the shopping trip, the hair and the final day - so I'm with you sister!

Great blog entry!