I cried about diabetes today for the first time in a long time. It came out of frustration with a disease that I just can’t figure out no matter how hard I try.
Riley’s sickness coupled with Prednisone over the Christmas holidays made it pretty much impossible to test basals like I wanted to. He’s run high, higher, and highest lately and I feel guilty that I’m not doing something right, that I’m not paying enough attention. His last A1C was 7.8, the highest it’s been in a long time. We have another appointment this month and I’m sure it’s still that high or higher.
You parents (and PWD) out there know where I’m coming from. It’s frustrating when your best just isn’t good enough. It makes you question if you’re doing the best at all.
I’m going to ask a few questions and I would love a response from you guys. I know that diabetes is very individualized and that what works for some may not work for others. I would still like to see your answers. They may point me in a direction I haven’t tried yet. I know that some of these questions will not pertain to people that are not on the pump. Just answer whatever questions you can. Please post any answers you have by comment or if you’d rather send them by email that would be fine too. (My email is in my profile.)
1) What do you/your child eat for a typical breakfast? (I’m looking something relatively low carb that would be of interest to a 6 year old and doesn’t require a lot of time to fix. I barely get to work on time as it is.)
2) How often do you typically change your basals? (I know this will vary greatly for everyone.)
3) If you test 1- 1/2 hours after lunch and you’re in the 300s and your pump says you have enough insulin on board to cover the sugar do you override the pump and give insulin anyway? If so, how do you determine how much to give?
4) Do you or your child stick to a routine pretty much all of the time? (ex: breakfast , snack, lunch, etc at the same time every day.)
5) Do you count carbs by measuring with measuring cups or do you weigh your food to find out carbs?
6) Do you bolus before, during, or after meals?
7) Do you log sugars every day?
8) How long do you wait for a pattern before changing basals? (For example, I look for a three day pattern and make adjustments by that.) If you do this, do you wait 3 more days and if the numbers still aren’t responding adjust basals again? ( I feel like maybe I’m not being aggressive enough with the changes?)
9) How much do you increase basals at one time? Do you do it by a certain percentage or just for one part of the day?
10) Do you have different basal rates for different days (for example a weekday basal rate and a weekend basal rate)? If so do you use the weekend rates for long weekends and holidays?
11) If you /your child is at a birthday party and you/their sugar is high do you/they skip the cake and goodies or eat anyway and bolus for the high too?
12) Do you think I’m completely insane for wanting you to answer all these questions?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.