Friday, May 12, 2006

Interview Me(me)

I have been interviewed by Vivian at DanielDoo. I will tell you how to play at the end of my interview if you're interested.

#1: If you could choose a career, besides nurse, what would it be?

I've played around with the idea of being a diabetes educator, but then I'd still be a nurse wouldn't I? I would never do that though. I just think the best educators are the ones who have been there themselves. You can't learn everything from books. You learn the most from experience. But, that would be too much diabetes for me, I think.

I think if I could be anything, it would be a pharmacist. I've often wished that I went to pharmacy school rather than nursing school. It would have only been one more year than what I went anyway.

#2: Who has had the biggest impact on your life?

No question about it, my mom. I guess that might be the case for most people though.

My mom is a fine upstanding Christian woman. She has led by example in so many aspects of her life. She was/is a very sacrificing mom. She made sure my needs were met even if her's weren't. She's always told me I could do anything I wanted, and I always believed her.

#3: Tell us about one of the most fun moments of your life.

Now, that's a hard question. I really have had a great life. I guess I'll say a somewhat recent fun moment. We went on vacation to the mountains of NC last July. We had the best time. I knew that we needed to enjoy it because Holden was 14 and soon wouldn't tolerate family vacations. We all slid down Sliding Rock into the ice cold water. Even my brave Riley did this. We hiked to a beautiful waterfall and spent a few hours just watching the water and talking.

I have tears in my eyes right now thinking about it. The memories are all that much sweeter because Riley didn't have diabetes then. We didn't have the worries we have now. I think about how much different that trip would have been had he had D. Not quite as carefree. I'm glad we did it.

#4: What is your guilty pleasure, just for you?

Sorry to be boring, but I don't really have one. I don't really have anything that I do just for me. I'm in "mom mode" too much, I think. The one thing that I do that doesn't really involve the kids or my husband is play Super Collapse II on the computer. If you haven't tried it, you should. But, beware, it's addictive.

So, I guess playing a mindless game instead of cleaning the house sometimes is my guilty pleasure. Yes, I really am that boring.

#5: Name a positive thing about diabetes.

A few months ago this question would have been impossible for me to answer. I would have just said, "There isn't one." and be done with it.

I can say that diabetes has had a positive influence on how I see things now. As much as I talk on my blog about breakdowns and the bad stuff, I really have learned to enjoy life now more than I did before. I think Riley getting diabetes made me focus in on what's important. Before, I think I was just trudging through life. I wasn't really taking time to enjoy it.

I laugh more now than I used to. I've learned to loosen up a little more. I really did used to be a fun person, but somewhere along the way, I lost that part of myself. I'm now getting it back.

A few weeks ago my mom and I were talking about Holden going to Las Vegas with his basketball team. I told her that I wanted to go, but it would be so expensive. Plus, I want Michael and Riley to go too. But, of course, that's added expense. But, if Holden goes, I'm going to find a way to go. I told my mom that since Riley was diagnosed I've realized that we only get one life. We need to enjoy it while we can because we never know what tomorrow might bring. Before Riley was diagnosed if this trip had come up, first of all, I probably wouldn't let Holden go. Secondly, I wouldn't have considered flying the family all the way across the country. But, now, I realize opportunities sometimes only knock once and you better run to the door and answer it, before it moves on to someone else.


Here are the directions for anyone else who would like to play. Leave me a comment saying interview me. The first five commenters will be the participants. I will respond by asking you five questions. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

I'm putting this in myself. I know I have some that read my blog that don't have a blog of their own. If you would like to play just leave a comment saying "interview me" and I'll give you the questions. Instead of posting it in your blog, you can post your answers in the comments of my blog, if you'd like.

No comments: