Monday, April 23, 2007

A day in the life...

Riley’s sugars:

10:35 PM: 185 (smile; good bedtime sugar)

12:33 AM: 114 (decrease basal 50% for two hours)

2:45 AM: 71 (give fruit snacks and decrease basal again)

3:04 AM: 56 (curse at the machine, give more fruit snacks)

3:24 AM: 68 (feed him peanut butter crackers while muttering under breath to his pancreas; it isn’t listening)

3:45 AM: 107 (whew, now we’re talking)

3:46 AM: lie in bed wondering what would have happened had I not woken up to find the 71 and woken again for the 56; pray; eventually fall asleep

6:19 AM: 276 (give insulin and go to sleep for 30 more minutes)

1:24 PM: sit at desk typing this; wonder if there will ever be a cure; prop eyelids open; get on with life

4 comments:

Keith said...

I don't know how you do it and are still able to function the next day... ok well sleepily function.

Here's to hoping the liver would've kicked in and starting boosting blood sugar there in the low 50's.

You're an awesome mom.

Carey said...

Penny,

This says it all in a nutshell. Good post. You must be completely wiped! Charlie's endo is always concerned about our lack of sleep. She has urged us to sleep through the night like some of her other patients' parents. I was quite baffled by this. I mean, talk about taking the ultimate gamble. It's just your kid's life.

Maybe she'd feel differently if she had a child with diabetes.

Anonymous said...

i kept reading the "AM" over and over. That alone can make someone sick. I am not looking forward to those days. And we have no idea when they will arrive. By the looks of it we have it pretty easy so far.
Chris
(rubbing)

Anonymous said...

You are a great mother !! I wish some of the researches do bring out a positive way of curing this problem for people suffering from Diabetes of any form. My sister has diabetes, my grandpa had and now docs say I am pre-diabetic ( though not Type 1). So I m dreading the possibility of being stuck with the medicines for life. I have seen my sis doing the needle pricks all the time and frankly I cannot imagine how painful it would be for a 3 yrs (now 4) kid doing it 10-12 times a day. I only hope things move in a better direction sooner and there is cure out there faster. I am also looking at any alternate ways of trying to alleviate or stimulate body to kick up something and i think Yoga might help based on what i have read.. some pointers to this
http://www.bikramyoga.com/testimonials/Diabetes.htm

I am not saying it would be a definite cure but its worth a try

kris