Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Meme

1. Wrapping paper or gift bag?

I prefer to give wrapped gifts, but I’ve become lazy and put more in gift bags than I actually wrap. I wrapped or bagged a lot of presents night before last. I think there are about 5 wrapped gifts and maybe about 10 in bags. I know. I’m horrible. But, in my defense, I got a lot of people gift cards this year. It doesn’t seem to make sense to wrap them.

2. Real tree or artificial?

I prefer a real one but I have an artificial one. But, I think this is the last year we’ll be using it. When I put it up this year some of the branches came apart. So, I’ll either buy one on sale after Christmas or I’ll have a real one next year. I like real because of the smell. But, they are more trouble what with the cutting and trying to get it to stand up straight in the stand, or remembering to put water in it and trying not to spill water on the present. So, I use artificial and buy a cedar Yankee Candle to create the real tree smell.


3. When do you put up your tree?

The Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving

4. When do you take down your tree?

A day or two after Christmas. I like my tree, but I get tired of it taking up space in the living room. I’m glad to see it go.

5. Do you like eggnog?

Ick.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

I remember receiving a dollhouse with little doll furniture when I was about 5 or 6. I loved it. It looked huge to me at the time. It was about as tall as I was. I also remember one Christmas when I was about 10 I got a bike I had been asking for. I didn’t think I’d get it. It was green and had a banana seat with “Sweet Pea” written on it.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?




No, but I would love to have a Willow Tree Angel one.










8. Hardest person to buy for?

My dad. If he wants or needs something he buys it. So, it is very hard to get him anything. This year he is getting a Black and Decker light. I’m hoping it will come in handy at work.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

Riley. He is young enough that anything is exciting for him. Holden is easy to buy for too except that he’s 16 so everything that he wants is expensive.

10. Worst Christmas gift you've ever received?

I don’t remember.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?

I didn’t do either this year. But, if I send cards it is through the mail.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?

“It’s a Wonderful Life”; I also really enjoy “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation”

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Usually right after Thanksgiving (but not the Friday after, that's too much of a crowd for me)

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Guilty

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, lima beans

16. White or colored lights?

I think I’m one of the few people who still use colored Christmas lights on my tree.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

“O Holy Night”; “Mary Did You Know?” is a very close second

18. Traveling for Christmas or staying home?

We go to my mom’s on Christmas morning (about 4 miles down the road). Then later in the day we go to my aunt’s house about 15-20 minutes away. So, I travel but not very far.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

No, I always forget one or two. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph; Is that right? I don't know. How many reindeer are there anyway?

20. Angel or Star on top of tree?

I don’t have anything on the top of my tree this year. Last year when I took down the tree I realized the angel had seen her last days. I haven’t bought one to replace her. But, if I were to buy something I would buy an angel.

21. Open presents Christmas Eve or Morning?

We open one present at my mom’s house on Christmas Eve. It is always PJs to wear on Christmas night. We open all the rest of the presents on Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

Having somewhere to be almost every single night

23. What I love most about Christmas ?

Being with my family; seeing my kid’s faces on Christmas morning when they see what they got from Santa


Feel free to play along if you'd like. And, in case I don't get back before Christmas I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah and a blessed New Year.

2 comments:

AmyT said...

Nice meme, Penny.

OK, so I'm Jewish, but I still love to watch "A Christmas Story" every year :)

Happy Holidays!
- AmyT

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Amy,

I have never seen "A Christmas Story". Every year I say I'm going to watch it and I never do.

Happy Holidays to you and yours also.