Friday, May 29, 2009

Oops, I Did Again

I was reading Jill's blog and she was talking about her daughter forgetting to dose herself for lunch. In the comments some people shared some of their similar experiences.

Do you have a story you'd like to share about when you totally screwed up when it came to D? Come on, none of us are perfect and maybe sharing your story will make someone else feel better about themselves.

My biggest oops happened on Riley's very first day of Kindergarten. I think because it was his very first day out of my sight with someone else caring for him it made it stick out in my mind even more.

I was sooooo upset about Riley starting school that I had made myself sick (literally). I was so nervous that morning. I got him to eat breakfast and somewhere in all the caos I forgot to bolus for it. I didn't even realize I had done it until Holden called me at snack and Riley was in the 300s. When I asked how much insulin he had on board, Holden said "none". (snack was about 2 hours after breakfast) That's when I realized that I had forgotten to bolus for his breakfast.

He got insulin then and went on to have a fine first day of Kindergarten, but I felt like such a dunce. I will never forget doing that.

That's my big story. There are plenty of other oops over the last 3 1/2 years but that's the one that sticks out in my mind.

What's your D-oops?

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, of course we ALL have forgotten to bolus...but I might take the CAKE for down right DANGEROUS mistakes.....I forgot to escape out from priming the insulin through the tubing after removing some bubbles.....Maddison's pump was left in PRIME mode while attached. Not once, but TWICE I did this! Once at school (which really made me want to stab myself) and once while she slept. Good thing we check her BS so often.......talk about dangerous!

Joanne said...

I have two for you... Not too long after Elise was diagnosed, we went to a friend's birthday party. We were in such a hurry to get there on time, that we fed Elise her dinner, but forgot to give her the insulin. When we checked her later that evening while at the party she was 512!!!

My most major oops was right after her dx and I was giving Elise her morning injection; humalog and nph, both diluted. I was so exhausted I grabbed the diluted vial of nph as well as the full strength vial of nph (instead of the diluted humalog), and injected her with it. I didn't notcie until about an hour later when I went to put the vials back in the fridge. I checked her BG and she was at something like 450. I called the endo in tears. They calmed me down, and we just have to deal with extreme lows later on in the day. I'll never forget how I felt when I realized what I had done.

Phyl said...

We have forgotten Sam's Novolog injection at least 3-4 times in the 2.5 years since he was diagnosed. But the bigger opps was the time my husband accidentally gave our son 27 units of Novolog rather than 27 units of Lantus at bedtime. They spent the night fighting lows. Fortunately, no harm done and lesson learned. I was away from home or I'd have been seriously freaking out. But it was an excellent reminder to have someone double check your work.

Wendy said...

Oh, geez! I would say mixing up Novolog and Lantus was our biggest misap -- YIKES!!!! She was eating candy all day to fix that one ;)

Wendy said...

Silly me...she as eating candy all day the time I accidentally gave her 71 carbs instead of 17...see diabetes really makes your brain cloudy sometimes. Especially at midnight!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh man - I have too many to count OR remember! Hehe!

:) Tracie said...

Age 6 in 2006 in Oahu at the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Jessi had a pineapple shake, I dosed for what I thought it would be. Later at dinner her blood sugar read "HI" which of course meant over 600, but how much over? She couldn't eat dinner and we couldn't bear to eat in front of her and an hour or so later we got her number down. Talk about a stressful vacation!