Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy blogaversary to me...

I started this blog one year ago today. It really doesn't seem like it's been that long. A lot has changed since then, my knowledge, my emotions, my mental state.

I must tell you the story of how I started this blog in the first place and how I came to know about The Diabetes OC.

Early on in this disease, I spent a lot and I do mean A LOT of time on the chat room at Children With Diabetes. It was very helpful to chat with others going through the same thing.

One day in the chatroom Ellen linked to a blog post, this one. I, of course, thought it was great. It made me cry, as did most things back then.

I had heard the term "blog" before, but I didn't really know what one was nor had I ever thought about starting one. The next day I was on the internet Googling all sorts of things about diabetes. One time I typed in "my son has diabetes" and really didn't find any useful results. I didn't find what I was searching for, which was someone who was going through the same thing that I was.

Next, I searched "how to start a blog". I was directed to blogger.com and the rest is history. I started my blog that day. (Here's my first post.) I didn't really know what I was going to write, but I knew why I wanted to write. I started writing this blog to help other parents going through the same thing. That just seems silly to me now. I was so new to this disease, six weeks in, when I started this blog. I was still an emotional wreck and no help to anyone, not even myself.

Oh well, I had good intentions. But, as I started writing, even though no one was really reading it, it helped me immensely. It just helped to get it all out. I eventually stopped writing like I was out to help and just started expressing how I felt. And, how I felt then was not pretty nor was it uplifting, but it was real.

A little while after starting my blog, I was on the CWD chatroom again. I had met a nice lady named Vivian. We had chatted before and this time, for some reason, I mentioned that I had a blog. That's when Vivian told me that she had a blog and asked if I'd ever heard of The OC. I told her all I knew about The OC was that it was a TV show. That's when she shared the D-OC with me. I left the chatroom and sent an email right then. Within a few days, I was the newest member.

And, because of that (thanks, Vivian), I have met some very amazing people. You all have helped me immensely over the last year and for that I am very thankful.

So, that was my journey to the land of blogs.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Today is also my birthday. 33 years and counting...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Penny, Happy Birthday!!! I am so glad you started your blog, you have been an inspiration to many. We have all been blessed by getting to know you and your family. I am so excited that I played a part in your becoming a treasured member of the D-OC.

bethany said...

Happy Birthday Penny!!!

and Congrats on One Year of Blogging!

Brittney said...

Happy Birthday! Happy Blogaversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthdayblogaversary!

Welcome to 33! I have been enjoying it now for about 7 months :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Happy blog Aniversary

Allison said...

You've come a long, looooong way ma'am. Glad to have to have you on board for the journey. Happy Blogaversary and Birthday! Woot woot.

Keith said...

Happy Birthday and blogaversay! Wow, do I feel old I've had D almost 5 years longer than you've been whirring along on this planet.

You're doing a great job with Riley and I really appreciate what you're doing to help eradicate this condition. Hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

I'm starting my blog now just as you were a year ago for the very same reasons. I'm very glad I stumbled upon this place. Have a wonderful birthday!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Thank you all for your birthday and anniversary wishes!

Anonymous said...

Penny-

Happy Blogaversary!!

And a very, very Happy Birthday as well.

I am so glad you found this community-- both for you and for the rest of us. :-)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Happy Birthablogaversary Penny!

I agree - it can be so therapuetic to just get things off your chest.

We're all very glad that you are sharing your journey with us.

Major Bedhead said...

Whoo! Double the fun.

Happy Blogabirthiversary Day!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday and Blog Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogaversary and birthday!! Sorry I'm a little late here ...

Kerri. said...

I'm late on this one too, but a Very Happy Blogaversary and Belated Birthday to you, my friend. You are an integral part of this little community and I'm proud to know you. :)

Kerri. said...

Oooh, and 33 is Larry Bird. Well done there, too. ;)