Friday, August 31, 2007

Week One

Week one of school is over. And, to put it mildly, it's been hell.

Riley's sugars at school this week ranged from 52-360. His sugars while at home: 43-460.

Of course we've had lows before, even runs of lows. He might have a day here and there where he goes low a few times and we may have 2 or 3 days in a row where he goes low at least once a day. But, in the almost two years we've been dealing with this disease, we have never had a whole week where he went low at least once a day.

It's just so frustrating. I will be sitting down tonight and studying Riley's logbook. If I can't come to a conclusion on my own, I'll be faxing sugars to his endo and asking for help.

The lows are scary. Really scary. And, they make Riley feel like crap. That's what I hate the most.

But, on the bright side, Riley has thoroughly enjoyed every single day at school. He loves recess and PE and Spanish. He went to library today and checked out a book and he can't wait for me to read it to him.

It does give me some comfort that Riley is having a good time despite his diabetes. And, hearing him ramble on about what he did during the day and who got a mark on the board for bad behavior, is great.

But, in the quiet of night, I watch him sleep and my eyes fill with tears. My brave little man has no idea how much more he has to face than the other kids in his class every single day. He has no idea the fear that the lows he's had lately put in my heart. He has no idea what these fluctuations are doing to his body.

And, I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. I'll bear that burden for now. If only I could bear the rest for him too.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Well, I think this week proves that even with shitty blood sugars... life moves on. It has to.

Though honestly, I'm right with you sister. My blood sugars have ranged from 48-509, with a significant portion of them stuck in the 300s. I just woke up from my afternoon nap (see my post on Fatigue) with a blood sugar of 310. All I had for lunch was a hoagie sandwich and bolused for 40 carbs. Was it really 60 carbs? Who knows... One of the times I thought I nailed it and didn't but... life moves on. It has to.

meanderings said...

Sorry you're having such a crappy week - Riley will settle in to the routine and hopefully all the numbers will improve.
Thinking of you...

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey Penny,

Thinking of you and Riley - it will get better. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Penny, I haven't written for a while, but I just thought I'd pipe in on this one. Although my son is in high school, going back to school throws his sugars all over for a while. The brain work uses sugar--he has to be very careful if he studies late at night because he'll go low. Also, the little adrenelin rushes that they get from playing with the other kids or just excitement over something new can cause the sugars to go high. I know this doesn't help how to manage them, but hopefully it will help to know what could be causing it. My son has found that any significant change in his day to day schedule will create these fluctuations until he settles into a routine.