Monday, October 08, 2007

Saturday

We woke up early on Saturday morning. I still had some last minute things to do.

As usual the first thing I did was go into Riley's room and check his blood sugar. But, before I did, I just sat for a while and looked at him and held his little hand. Two years ago life had been so carefree and then, with one finger stick it all came crashing down around us.

As I sat and held his hand I prayed a prayer of thankfulness to still have him in my life. Things could be so much worse and I am truly blessed.

We got up and got ready and went to the walk. We had more people come out and show their support this year. Still, I raised less money. This year we raised $1,920.00 (almost $800 less than last year). But, I know that every little bit helps and even a little is better than none at all.







The walk went well. Riley went low a couple of times. I had decreased his basal but he still dipped down probably from a mixture of excitement and increased activity.


Our plans were to take Riley to a movie and out to eat to celebrate 2 healthy years with this disease. But, there weren't any children's movies playing.

Riley chose a Japanese steakhouse as his restaurant of choice. He loves that place with the flames and throwing of various food objects. And the rice, we can't forget the pile of rice they give you.

I don't carry a purse. I hardly ever do. I just don't like having to lug something around. So, I carried Riley's machine in my hand and laid it on the table.

We had been there a few minutes when one of the waiters came up and poured Michael some more Diet Coke.

"Are you diabetic?", he asked Michael nodding to the blood sugar machine.


"No, he is.", Michael said pointing to Riley.

"Me too. I got it when I was 4."


"Riley was 3.", I said.


Then, the waiter was gone. Michael and I just looked at each other. When I pointed the waiter out to Riley and told him he had D too, Riley's eyes lit up.

Later, when he came back to fill up Michael's glass once again, he asked if we knew what had brought on Riley's diabetes. We said no. He said his was brought on by being attacked by fire ants.

As he was leaving the table this time he glanced over his shoulder and said, "Good luck to you guys. It's not easy."

Yes, you are right Mr. Nice Waiter Guy. It is not easy.

I had to spend the rest of the time trying not to stare at him as he made his way around the restaurant. Being in the presence of others with Type 1 tends to make me do that sometimes.

After that we went to a county fair. Riley had a wonderful time riding rides and I had a wonderful time watching him.

His favorite ride was a boat that swung back and forth. It went kind of high for a kid Riley's age. But, he thoroughly enjoyed it.

I stood there and watched him. He had a huge grin on his face, one of those grins where I swear his eyes are lighting up. And, the tears welled up in my eyes.

All I could think was that 2 years ago I never thought I'd see that smile again. But, there it as was as bright as ever.

When we got ready to leave he got the ice cream he was promised. And, once again, I thought about how 2 years ago I never thought he'd eat ice cream again.

The whole day and night only reminded me of what Riley had told me the night before.

He really is going to be OK.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

You still raised a lot of money!! Congratulations!

Isn't it neat to meet people who have Type 1?

When Jeff and the kids took me out for Mother's Day, we had the kit out on the table and one of the waitresses pointed out her son who was a waiter and also Type 1. She took really good care of us after that.

You feel a certain kind of kinship because of it.

Also, it helps us parents to adjust when we see our kids adjusting to having diabetes so well. They make it OK for us to be OK.

Chris said...

OMG...you sort of write like i do. I loved that post.
I am as well captivated when i discover someone has diabetes. I just open up and want to them to talk to me all day and all night. I want to know, i want to see, i want to follow what they go through. Because i know i never will see that part of it even thogh i know that part very well.
Any way congratulations on your anniversary. You and Riley continue to inspire me.
Thanks.

Jamie said...

Congrats on two years of raising a happy, healthy boy Penny :) You are doing a wonderful, wonderful job. Congrats on the walk too. That's just shy of two grand and that is nothing to be upset about! You did great!!

I'm also alway fascinated to meet others with Type 1 - I love hearing their stories and how they do things. Danielle's preschool teacher has diabetes and the two of us gab non-stop about it. I think it's a venting ground for both of us because it's nice to connect with someone who "gets it".

Anyhow - you're doing a great job with him - just so you know!! :)

Paige said...

So glad that Riley had such a special anniversary!

We recently also had a waiter tell us that she had type 1, but by the time she got around to telling us that she didn't have to take insulin for hers, I had decided that what she really had was the crazies.

George said...

I loved that post. I just cried my eyes out. I love to read about what my parents thought of and how they felt.

You help me understand. Riley is so blessed to have you as him mommy. You are awesome.

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Shannon,

It's strange how much a 5 year old can teach you if you just take the time to listen. I'm supposed to teach him how to deal with D, but I think he's taught me more than I've taught him.

Chris and Jamie,

Thanks. I think you guys do an awesome job with your kids too.

Paige,

"She had the crazies" Ha!! That made me ALOL.

George,

Me making you cry is just payback for all of the times you've made me cry.