Tuesday, January 22, 2008

If I were just a few years younger...

I'm far from being a teeny bopper. Those days of screaming and jumping up and down over some cute guy are long gone. Now I just get excited when I get to bed before 11 PM.

I watched The Ellen Degeneres show for the past two days. Even though she ignored my emails I still love her show. I've always thought she was funny. I usually can't watch it as it comes on at 9 AM where I live. But, yesterday was a holiday and today we were delayed for work due to the weather so I watched it.


The Jonas Brothers were on her show yesterday. And they chose one of the girls from the audience to fly with them to a show. They showed that today.


In case you don't know, one of the members of the group, Nick Jonas, has Type 1 diabetes. I had read this somewhere before. But, I've never really paid much attention to them.

When I saw them on the show yesterday I turned up the sound and shushed everyone in the room. I was drawn to them. I searched in vain for any signs of an insulin pump.

It is amazing the bond you can feel from sharing a disease. I don't even share the disease with him. My son does. And, still, I got choked up watching him perform. Because I know. I know how hard it is.


When they were on Ellen today they showed them meeting the lucky girl at a jet at 4:30 in the morning to fly to the show. The whole time all I could think of was what the wacky schedule must do to his sugars. And, while I watched him sing all I could think was "I wonder if he checks his sugar before he steps on stage."


It's weird. I don't even know him. Actually, I didn't even know his name until I googled it for this post. But, yet, I'm proud of him. I'm proud that he's open about his disease and I'm even more proud that it doesn't stop him from living his dream.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this video with you. It is being sung by Nick Jonas. It made me cry.






2 comments:

Jonah said...

I think that that song would be a lot better without the crowd noises, particularly the "I love you". When it comes out on CD (he's including it on their next CD), hopefully we'll get to hear a purer version.
He's an advertisement for the Omnipod, in case your search didn't turn that up.

Donna said...

Penny,
I had read he had diabetes. This clip gave me chills. Do you think those teeny-bopper girls had any idea what he was singing about? I doubt it.

I wonder those same things that you mentioned, too. What a hectic lifestyle & how crazy it must be to regulate everything.