Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ping Ponging Sugars

Sorry about the downer post yesterday. I was a little more sleep deprived than usual (due to getting home late from basketball games). Sleep deprivation tends to make me a little more emotional than usual.


Today I'm just really really frustrated. Riley's numbers aren't horrible, but they are bouncing around too much.



He's had at least one low every day for the past few days. Usually those lows result in a high number.



I looked over his numbers last night and I made some basal adjustments. We've been using a temp basal a lot at night to keep impending lows at bay.



So, I decreased his basals (just a tad) from 6-9 PM and from 9 PM - 12 AM. (By "just a tad" I mean I decreased them 0.025 each).



Then he ran high all. night. long. That is until 6 o'clock this morning when he was 63. Aggghhhh!!



I'm just so frustrated. I think his running high is probably a result of a low he had yesterday. At morning snack at school he was 56. Does anyone else experience that? It seems like if Riley goes low he might rebound and be high as much as 14-15 hours after the low.



I told Michael I really think the key to getting rid of the highs is to get rid of the lows. But, the lows are scattered about at different times of the day. So, pinpointing where to decrease his basals is not that easy.



It's just frustrating. Whenever his numbers go out of whack like this I feel like I'm racing against the clock to get them back to where they need to be. I worry about what the lows are doing to his development and I worry about what the highs are doing to his kidneys.



I hate to see his sugars bouncing back and forth like a ping-pong ball. A lot of times I feel like this cat. I can't seem to get my paws on those bouncing sugars and just make them stop.


6 comments:

Shannon said...

Ugh. I hate when BS's swing from one end to the other. I wish it were easier to keep numbers in the middle. What does the body have against nice middle-of-the-raod numbers?

Sandra Miller said...

Penny-

I truly believe that keeping blood sugars steady in an active, growing child is damn near impossible.

(Though it doesn't mean we won't stop trying... )

Hang in there.

meanderings said...

Penny,
I'm not a mom of a child with diabetes, so I can't offer advice. I can let you know that I'm thinking about you and hope the numbers will return to a normal state, real soon.

Naomi said...

We don't pump, so I guess it is a little different. But for a week or so Daniel was running high, so we increased his basal by 1 unit. Then he starts waking up with morning (5 a.m.) lows. 45-55 ish. He gets up, treats the lows, and has good numbers for the next half hour. Then, 2 hours later, he hits 300. I can't figure it out either!!

Kseniya said...

Hi Penny,
We are currently dealing with an opposite issue. Can't get rid of the highs and afraid to bolus too much and "crash".
I think in our case it turned out to be a "bad real estate", I think we are done with that site for a while.
One thing I noticed though. If numbers are good when my daughter wakes up, they tend to be pretty flat all day, but if she wakes up too high or too low, then she is all over the place for the rest of the day.

Chris said...

Penny,
At the end of the day you know you are really doing an amazing job. Riley is safe with you. If your doctors saw a concern for those highs affecting his health you know they would go over this with you. Denise really is hard on herself too with managing a young persons diabetes. It is probably the hardest thing you will have to deal with in your life. You are setting Riley up for a lifetime progressive diabetes management.
You are a trooper my friend.
Hugs and prayers to you.
Chris.