Monday, March 30, 2009

Memory Mondays: Dec. 6, 2005

I had to smile when I read this post. Ahhh, how naive I was back then to think that when I gave insulin Riley's sugar would always go down.

And, 1/2 unit of insulin per 45g carb? Holy cow, how did I do that? Riley barely eats 45g carb per meal now.



-----------------------------------------------------

The Science Experiment

Anyone else out there feel like your child or you are a science experiment? I just am still uncomfortable with trying a new dose to see what it does. I know the only way to know if something will work is to try it, but sometimes I feel like a mad scientist (emphasis on the mad).

Riley's sugars had been running a little high after he ate, so I figured it was time to adjust his carb ratio. So, instead of 1/2 unit per 45g, I went to 1/2 per 30g. Well, yesterday his sugar at lunch was 80. He ate 35g carbs, so he got 1/2 unit NovoLog. Well, a little over an hour later, it was 375. Now how did that happen? I'm wondering if his sugar dropped low and he rebounded. I just can't see how it could jump so high so quickly and he had taken insulin. Then, at supper that same night, it was 173. He ate 45g carbs (including regular cake for my mom's birthday party). Well, he got 1/2 unit for that and 2 hours later it was 78. So what's the deal? I think his pancreas is just screwing with me.

Then, the only way I can keep his sugar from dropping too low during the night is to give him regular pudding before bed, but that tends to shoot his sugar up. Last night when his sugar was 78 he had pudding and at bedtime it was 243. So, what do I do? I don't like his sugar dropping into the 50s and 60s, but I don't like them in the 200s either. We've tried different things for his nighttime snack (including corn starch) but the pudding seems to work the best to keep his sugars up. How do I decide which is the lesser of two evils?

OK, I'm going to get back to my science experiment. But, on the bright side, science was always my best subject.

3 comments:

Sandra Miller said...

This made me smile too, Penny.

How naive we all were in the beginning... :-)

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Ha, Sandra, I'm still naive in many ways when it comes to this disease.

Kelly said...

I wouldn't say naive.....just inexperienced. With a little bit of naive I guess! LOL. Amazing what we learn, unfortunately usually the hard way. :(