Saturday, October 06, 2007

730 Days

730 days ago diabetes slipped quietly into our house. It crept in and wound itself into the fabric of our lives. It permeated every pore of our being. It smelled like band aids and tasted like sea water.

Two years ago today, I thought the world had ended.

Looking back it seems like it was a lifetime ago. Was there ever a time when Riley didn't have diabetes?

I've learned a lot in the last 730 days.

I've learned how many carbs are in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I've learned that Lantus really does only last for 28 days.

I've learned that you can't keep syringes in the bottom of a pocket book just in case you need them. The numbers rub off.

I've learned Animas' 800 number.

I've learned that sometimes when Riley is low, he starts to cry.

I've learned that sometimes when Riley is high, I start to cry.

I've learned all sorts of things I never, ever wanted to know.

But, I've also learned that some of the most wonderful people in the world have diabetes.

I've learned what it's like to love so much your heart feels like it is going to burst.

I've learned to be thankful for every day I get to spend with my family.

I've learned that, no matter what, life goes on.

And sometimes it's better than I ever thought it could be.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God matched Riley with the right mom.
He couldn't be more well taken care of than he is by you.

Congratulations on a healthy 2 years.

Shannon said...

Anonymous was me.

Jen said...

Congratulations on making it so far.

Allison said...

Happy Anniversary, you rock stars! Congrats on another healthy year and wishing many, many more. :-)

bethany said...

you seem to be doing a great job. i love reading and i'm glad you keep us posted. keep up all the great work!

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Everything has a silver lining. You get the good with the bad, huh?! And it is good to remember to see the all parts of the package! Hug to you ane Riley.

Nicole P said...

Wow, Penny. This was a really beautiful post. And you are doing a great job. Hopefully, we - as a community - can start celebrating a cure together in the future, rather than marking these anniversaries. A hug for you and one for Riley too.

Jillian said...

Congratulations on 2 healthy years, here's to many many more! (Hopefully some of those years will be when diabetes is cured!)

Paige said...

Thinking of you guys.

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Thank you all for the kind words and the hugs.

Sarah said...

rhrPenny,
Chronic conditions, and atypicality, well, they make you appreciate things differently. They shed light on different aspects of your day and different points in your life.