Thursday, March 15, 2007

One More Try

I'm going to give one more push to donate to my charity badge located on the side of my blog. The badge will not be any good after March 31st. I know many of you give to your own charity. But, this is for those of you who don't or maybe who do, but would like to help this one too.

The Iacocca Foundation gives all of its money to research to find a cure. Their money does not go to any other avenue. That's one of the main reasons I choose to support The Iacocca Foundation. I want a cure. While better medicines and new technology is great, I look forward to a day when Riley doesn't need any of it. And, I want to do everything in my power to make that day come to fruition.

Now, some statistics: ( I know I may be "preaching to the choir" here, but maybe someone is reading that doesn't know that much about D. All these statistics were collected from various resources throughout the web.)

Type 1 diabetes is the most common chronic disease of childhood. It is more common than cancer, cystic fibrosis, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, and muscular dystrophy.

1 in every 600 children will develop Type 1 diabetes.

As many as 3 million Americans may have Type 1 diabetes. 171 million people have diabetes world-wide.

In the US 13,000 children are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes each year. That's 35 children every single day.

Diabetes reduces life expectancy on average by up to 15 years.

(That last one is the one that really hits me in the gut.)

Also, that cute little boy you see on the badge. That's my baby. I love him more than I do life itself. But, this isn't just about him. It's not just about your child. It's not just about you. It's about everybody WORLD-WIDE that deals with this disease on a daily basis.

I am going to leave you with a video. I've seen it on some other blogs. If you haven't seen it, take some time and watch it.

Here are some more faces of diabetes:

2 comments:

Bernard said...

Penny

I know how important this is, and I have a personal interest in finding a cure.

I'm also raising money for the Faustman Research which I believe has already had some results on the road to a cure.

I'm hoping with all of us pushing fund raising we can get some real funds for diabetes research.

Best of luck.

Allison said...

The problem with this community (and might I add, the *only* problem - other than the fact we all live so far away from each other) is the fact that we all are doing fundraising for various diabetes charities - and sometimes the same ones - so that it's impossible for everyone to give to everyone. I hate it!

That being said, I am a broke college girl, but I am giving in spirit! Hehe. Maybe next year?