Friday, December 16, 2005

The endo. appointment #2

Our last endo. appointment went very well. Dr. Morris is very pro-pump, even for kids Riley's age. We are taking an intro. to pumping class on January 5th. I can't wait!!! So, right now I'm reading Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified ( thank you for the recommendation, Sandra). I am also looking through the different pump brochures. I've also been scouring the internet looking at the different pumps. For any of my family that may be reading this and would like to see what the pumps look like, go to: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php All the pumps that we are considering are up there.

The Dr. gave us 5 different pumps to chose from: Cozmo, Disetronic, Animas, Minimed, and OmniPod. I have ruled out the OmniPod. I think it will be too bulky for Riley. I also don't like that you can't disconnect it without having to change the whole set. I am excited about the future of OmniPod. I think they will improve on it and not having tubing to clog or kink would be really nice. I've almost ruled out the Minimed. I never really like it much in the first place, and I got an email from a friend yesterday whose son has a Minimed and she's not very happy with it right now. He just got his 3rd pump in a little over a year. I have also pretty much ruled out the Disetronic. I just don't like it for some reason, but I'm not sure why. So, that leaves me with the Animas and Cozmo. In a previous post I was leaning towards the Cozmo, but I'm now leaning towards the Animas. I think the Cozmo may be too bulky for Riley's tiny frame. I like the included glucose monitor. (Freestyle Flash is what we use now). But, I think I'd just end up removing it due to adding to the bulk and weight Riley would have to carry around. I think the Cozmo might do well for him when he's older. He'll have his current pump until he's about 7 1/2. I'm now leaning towards the Animas because it gives the smallest amount of insulin of any pump. Riley is currently on only 1/2 unit of Lantus, so smaller doses might be needed. I also like the Calorie King with it. I think it will help his teachers with carb coverage when he does start school.

When we go to the class in January, we are supposed to learn about the different pumps then. Then, once we pick one, we're supposed to contact the Dr. Once it comes and Riley is hooked up he'll pump saline for one week and then "go live" with insulin. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. I know that the pump will be a challenge at first, but I also know that it will be well worth it.

A BIG thank you to those of you who have posted comments and sent me emails about your experiences with your pumps. Also, I would like to thank a nice lady from Greensboro who sent me and email saying that her daughter goes to Dr. Morris and how good she is. This helped calm my fears prior to Riley's appointment.

I did REALLY like Dr. Morris. She really listened to what we had to say and why we wanted the pump. She looked at the log book that I keep for Riley. The day after he came home from the hospital I came up with a chart that has his sugars, injections, amount of carbs eaten, etc. The other endo. didn't even look at them. Dr. Morris looked at them and suggested a change. Riley has been having some highs in between meals, so she thinks his Lantus needs to be increased, but he's having some lows in the 60s in the morning, so she's wary to increase the Lantus. So, instead she told us to stop giving it at supper and start giving at breakfast. So far, he's had 2 morning sugars since the change, one was 60 and this morning's was 135. So, we'll see what happens.

Anyway, I've written enough. Please keep your comments about your pumps coming. Also, I'd like to know about which set are the best and the least painfull. There is something about a new Cleo inserter in my Cozmo brochure. It looks interesting.

4 comments:

Sandra Miller said...

Penny,

First-- Congratulations (again)!

Dr. Morris sounds wonderful-- I'm so glad you found her!

On the Animas pump-- we really love it. Joseph preferred the size, interface, and overall feel of the thing over the Cozmo; we liked the ability to give smaller doses.

That said, we have had issues (just check out this post and the one following it), but each time they involved a screen that went bad. Unfortunately, the screen is the only part of the Animas pump that is manufactured by an outside company, thus problems have been more slow to correct. In the meantime, I have a back-up pump sitting just two feet away as I type...

As far as infusion sets-- Joseph loves the Inset. I love that each set comes with its own inserter (no need to carry around a seperate device!). But, it is important to check out all of your options, as you never know what might feel right to you and your child... if you look into the Cleo, I'd love to hear of your impressions as it was not yet available last January when Joseph began pumping.

Good luck with this journey, and again, I am very happy and excited for you!

Sandra

Penny Ratzlaff said...

OK, Sandra, not feeling too good about the Animas right now. But, like I said, I have the friend whose had 3 Minimeds in a little over a year. One time it had to be replaced due to static electricity. I really do like the Cozmo better. If only it would give a lower dose of insulin, that would be my choice.

The endo. didn't have a Cozmo brochure so I emailed them Wedneday morning to tell them I was getting an insulin pump for my son and would like a brochure. Well, Friday morning it arrived via 2 day UPS. I also got an email that morning from a rep from Cozmo. He told me I could expect my brochure on the 19th ( Monday) and also all the numbers I needed to talk to someone about the pump, etc. I emailed him back and let him know that the brochure had arrived already, and I was a little impressed with the speed in which I got it. He emailed me back thanking me for the update. The endo. had an Animas brochure, but I'm thinking of emailing them and asking for one just to see how long it takes them. Would this be wastefull of me?

Sandra Miller said...

Not at all. I think you should see what kind of response you get from Animas.

I can understand your reservations about the Animas (especially if you read my posts), but I must say that I've heard not-so-great stories from Cozmo and Minimed users as well (both online, and at JDRF Support group meetings).

And I've also come across users of each of these three pumps who are absolutely thrilled with their choice.

I think the best course would be to request a saline trial from Deltec and Animas-- do a side-by-side comparison. And definitely talk to Deltec about your son's need for very low doses of insulin. Just see if there's any way to address that need with their pump...

Christine said...

I've been looking at pumps too, and from what I can tell about the cozmo, it relaly impresses me. I know the included meter is really not a big deal, but I use the flash anyways, and I love it, so I'm glad that's integrated. I also really like how customizible it is.

That being said, I'm impressed with the animas as well.

I would rule out the omnipod for the reasons you mentioned, and also the minimed, just because I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and that their customer service has gone down hill fast.