Monday, December 22, 2008

It Wasn't a One Time Thing

Back in September Riley ended up in the ER because he was having trouble breathing. He did a round of antibiotics and a round of Prednisone and used an inhaler as needed. After a few days he was better. The doctors didn't really have an explanation for what had happened. All they would say is "maybe it's a one time thing". It had all started with a stuffy nose.

Friday, Riley started with a stuffy nose again. By Sunday afternoon he was wheezing.

I gave him his inhaler and it helped to clear him up. But, after a few hours he was wheezing again. He needed his inhaler about every four hours, including twice in the middle of the night.

I took him to the doctor today. He's on Prednisone again (oh, joy). The doctor said I can give the inhaler every 2 hours if needed (and I've had to do that a few times). And, that if I have to continue to give it every 2 hours that I need to call back and they'll put Riley in the hospital.

As I write this Riley is jumping up and down on his mattress in the living room. (We are doing our annual tradition of sleeping in the living room under the Christmas tree lights.) He is wheezing and coughing (he had his inhaler less than an hour ago). When I tell him to calm down so he can breathe better he tells me he's trying to bring his sugar down.

45 minutes ago it was 375. I've increased his basal 120% like last time he was on Prednisone. I'm hoping it will work.

I'm also hoping that this Prednisone does it's job and I can stop using the inhaler so often and then stop using it at all.

This time instead of "maybe it's just a one time thing" I heard, "maybe he'll grow out of it".

I hope he "grows out of it" before Christmas.


Amy said...

Oh darn it! I'm sorry your having to deal with this at this time of year! Riley seems to be handling it well (i.e.- jumping on the mattress to bring his blood sugar down! lol)! I'll be praying for good rest for the both of you tonight!

Jill said...

Awww poor thing :( Hope he's feeling better soon!

My oldest daughter has asthma and so do I so I know how scary the "wheezing" can be and thats not adding diabetes in the mix so I can only imagine how scary it is for you! I was diagnosed 2 years ago after a round with pneumonia. My lungs were never the same! Kayleigh was diagnosed when she was 10 months old and had her first asthma attack (shes 14 now)

How about a humidifier? When we're wheezing I run one of those non-stop and it seems to really help (especially at night!) Has he been diagnosed with asthma or is it just wheezing when he gets sick?

***Bigs hugs***

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 16 months old. Now a few months ago he was diagnosed with Childhood Absence Epilepsy....... it just keeps going. I just want to scream LEAVE HIM ALONE

Paige said...

Thinking about you guys, Penny.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Dang, sorry to hear it was not a one time thing.

Lisa said...

I hope that all is better now. I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this during the holidays. {{{HUGS}}}