Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Late to the Tag

If you read any blogs at all in The OC then you've seen this meme.

I've been tagged by
Shannon, Donna, and Bernard.

I will not be tagging anyone else because I think the entire OC has been tagged already.




#1 I don't own my house. We rent. I've never owned a house. I've always rented. My biggest dream right now is to own a house.




#2 I am a fan of Eminem. I am not a fan of cursing. I am also not a fan of rap. So, that is why it is weird that I like Eminem.


#3 Both of my children go to a private school. That may lead someone to think we have money. It is exactly the opposite, my friend. The payment to school is our biggest monthly payment, by far. Education is very important to us, so we sacrifice other things, so the kids can get good educations. Sometimes it sucks. (Refer to #1)


#4 I am a nurse. I have been bled on, peed on, pooped on, cursed at, bit and spat upon by patients. I have smelled things that no human nose should smell. I have cleaned up things that some may think require a HAZMAT team. And, I can handle it all. I cannot, however, clean false teeth. It makes me nauseous. When I used to work at the hospital if I had a patient that needed their dentures removed and cleaned I would bargain with the nurse's aides. I would change all of the adult diapers if they would take care of my patient's dentures. (I also have an aversion to cutting toenails. Feet give me the heebies jeebies. Not my own feet, just other people's feet.)

#5 I am the statistician for the high school basketball team. I love it. I keep up with assists, turnovers, steals, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, and blocked shots for all the players.

#6 I once stayed awake for 39 hours straight. I was working night shifts at the hospital and Holden had a field trip the next day. So I went into work at 7 PM one night and when I got off the next morning I went on the field trip with Holden. Then, I went back into work again that night at 7 and didn't get off until 7 the next morning. I'm lucky if I can stay awake for 14 hours at a time now.

#7 I am totally creeped out by dead bodies. OK, I guess that's not weird. Let my clarify. I'm OK with dead bodies, I just don't like them after they've been cleaned up and embalmed. Because I am a nurse I've seen plenty of dead bodies and I've been in a room alone with plenty dead bodies. People who have just died do not bother me. But, once they've been embalmed and have on nice clothes and makeup it totally freaks me out. I cannot stand to be in the same room with a dead body in a coffin. But, a dead body in a hospital bed doesn't bother me at all.

(Sorry, there seems to be a nursing theme to this meme.)

6 comments:

bingsy said...

I truly understand about the embalmed body thing. I decided I never wanted people to have a viewing when I died after my friend W. died. The body in the casket was just not her at all. Evidentally her body was 90% soul that lit up her being and 10% shell. After she left, the shell looked nothing at all like her. It was disturbing.

Donna said...

Wow, Penny. That's some interesting stuff!

I think it's really cool that you are the statistician for the high school basketball team. That's a lot to keep track of! But it's probably nothing compared to keeping track of Riley's BGs, food, etc., huh? I'm impressed. Good for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Paige said...

I like your seven, Penny. I really feel like I know you better! And I love #4...very funny.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Caro said...

I think this proves that it is a very good thing that we're all different. False teeth don't bother me (obviously, as a dentist) but other people's faecal matter..! Or maybe that is just because I haven't had kids and dealt with all the dirty nappies (sorry, diapers).

I don't like feet very much either though!

Scott K. Johnson said...

I never would have guessed you be an Eminem fan! That's an interesting tidbit!

I picture being a statistician (by gosh that is a hard word to spell for me!!) is a difficult thing! Especially when things happen so fast.

The false teeth thing is kinda weird too... hehe!!

That was a fun meme to read! Thanks Penny!

Anonymous said...

Penny,

Hello! We seem to have a lot in common. My now 5 year old daughter was diagnosed October 28, 2005, my birthday was also last week, and I don't like to hang around dead people either! Of course I could never be a nurse! I HATE needles, can't watch other people get them on TV, don't like to even think about them. But I'm sure like you I have a bag of them in our "diabetic" drawer. I used to gag when Amelia was first diagnosed each time I gave her a shot. It got easier, but I still can't watch other people give them.
Thank you for the blog, I just found it, but I have loved what I have read so far. It is such a great source of strength to know others are facing the same things I am.
Kelly