Saturday, November 10, 2007

Mission Friends

Today I took Riley and another kid from church to an International Missions study for Mission Friends at my church.

When we arrived there were pictures placed on the table to color. Beside the pictures was a snack of mini Ritz cheese crackers. This wasn't too big of a deal considering it was Riley's snack time anyway. I checked his sugar and he looked up at me and said, "Mom, can you count out some for me?"

You see, he knew that I needed to know how many he ate so I could count the carbs. So, I counted out a few for him and gave him a bolus.

The place they were learning about is called Moldova. So, they learned that in Moldova kids eat egg sandwiches for snack. So, they got to sample one. It wasn't that big of a deal because they only gave him 1/4 of 1 piece of bread (or about 2.5 g) with some egg on it.

Then, they played a game. Then they went to a pretend farmer's market to learn about the food they eat in Moldova. There they sampled carrots, apples, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. I stood back and watched to see exactly how much of everything Riley ate.

Last, they gave the kids grape juice and asked them to taste of honey. Since Riley's sugar had been on the high side when I checked it earlier, I leaned over and whispered in his ear that I had brought him a juice of his own and it was probably best if he skipped tasting the honey. He just nodded his head and did what I said.

After some crafts and a few more games they moved onto the last thing, making a bank to save money for missions. While they were making the bank the leaders came out with cookies, chocolate, and more juice for all the kids.

I again leaned over to Riley and told him I had a juice for him and told him not to eat the cookies or the chocolate, but to save them to eat with his lunch.

Once again, he just nodded his head and did as he was told. He never complained and he never asked why. Because, he knew why.

And, I was happy and sad all at once.

Sad, because he shouldn't have to worry about carbs and things like that. He should just be able to do what all the other kids are doing without having to ask me to count out how many crackers he can have.

But mostly, I was happy because he doesn't complain about things he can't change. He does what he has to do because he has to.

He is wise beyond his years and braver than I can even pretend to be.

5 comments:

Donna said...

Penny,
Diabetes makes a child become so mature at such a young age. Riley understands so much already.

And he still gets to be a regular kid (within certain limits, of course). It's great that he got to go on this outing & learn new things & enjoy new things. Diabetes will not keep him from being able to do the things he wants to do. I know you will make sure of that. You are doing such a great job with him. He's lucky to have such a great mom.

Jillian said...

Stories like this are the exact reason why my TuDiabetes "Word In Your Hand" was maturity. I'm glad Riley has an understanding of what diabetes can do to your everyday life, but is still able to be involved in activities like this one.

Minnesota Nice said...

Penny,
Riley is a cool kid. You are a wonderful mother. A good combination, if you ask me.

Naomi said...

Penny, I know just how you feel! Diabetic kids have to grow wise beyond their years, and very quickly, too.

Albert said...

"He does what he has to do because he has to."

That's definitely a sign of maturity. People these days don't even do what they need to do anymore.