Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My List and Motivations

I have a list of things I've been thinking about or jotting down since before the New Year started. I have things I want to do. Things I want to accomplish.



I thought maybe putting them in writing here would help keep me motivated. They are not really New Years resolutions as much as they are things I want to work on. Or is that what a New Year resolution is?



Here they are in no particular order:



1) Clean out all the closets in my house and get them organized. (How am I doing? I've gotten one organized and cleaned out. It's the one in my living room. I did it before the New Year even started. It was unreal how much junk had accumulated in that one closet. When I drug it all out it nearly filled the living room. Anyway, one down, many more to go. I'm motivated though. Whenever I open the living room closet to hang up a coat I smile. It's so nice to have it organized and know exactly where everything is.)



2) Clean out/ organize my kitchen cabinets and drawers. (I haven't even started on this one yet. My motivation is the same as above. When things are disorganized it adds to my already stressful life when I try to find something I need.)





3) Manage my money better. (I've started on this one already. I threw the credit cards away a long time ago. Most of my bills are automatically deducted from my checking account so I don't even have to think about them. But, we spend way too much money on food. I've come up with a budget and am going to try to stick to it. My plan is to pay off medical bills and such so we can really save up some money. I really, really want a house of my own. I know we won't have one until I learn to actually balance my check book once in a while. So far I have a budget and I've stuck to it. I even balanced my check book today. I've stopped using the debit card except for gas. Every thing else I pay cash. It makes it easier to keep up with everything. My motivation is saving for a house.)



4) Get Riley's A1C to 7.0% or less. (His last A1C was 7.8 which is the highest it's been in a long time. We've been as low as 6.6 before and I'd love to see that number again. I've already started on this. I have started logging his sugars at least every other day and making basal adjustments every 3-4 days or so. I've gone back to using Kevin's log sheet. I used it a long time ago, but just got out of the habit somehow. Seeing those sugars on a graph and pie chart really help me narrow down where I need to make adjustments. We see the endo again on the 23rd. I don't plan to see much of an improvement by then. But, by the next appointment in April I want to be well on the way to a 7.0. My motivation, of course, is a healthier Riley.)



5) Take a trip with Holden. (I've looked into a few things I think he might enjoy, but money is a factor, especially since I'm trying to save. I won't go into details of what I'd like to do just in case he reads this. My motivation is spending time with my big boy and getting in some bonding time before he goes away to college.)



6) Spend more time in prayer. (I've started on this one already too. I used to pray every night before sleep but often times ended up asleep instead of in prayer. I also have done little "dart" prayers throughout the day when certain things pop in my mind. Now, I have made it a habit to pray anytime I'm driving in the car. I turn off the radio and just pray. I have a prayer list and I pray for the things on that list every day. I add things here and there. Some of you guys are on that list for needs you have mentioned. I've always believed that prayer is a powerful thing. I believe that when people pray, things happen. I still pray several times a day whenever something pops in my mind. My motivation is to have a closer relationship with God.)



7) Make a chore chart and perform those chores on a daily basis. (Right now my house cleaning is mainly done on Saturdays. Of course I straighten up and do laundry every day, but the bulk of the cleaning is done on Saturday. I have a friend who cleans a different room of the house every night. This is where having a little house comes in handy. I haven't started on this one yet and probably won't until basketball season is over. My motivation is having more time to spend with my family on Saturdays.)



I think seven is quite enough. Of course, there are more things I'd like to do. I would love to lose about 20 pounds, but I really don't have the motivation for that right now. I'm trying to stick to things that are important enough to me that I know I'll at least try to do them.



As things happen I'll try to keep you guys updated.

3 comments:

k2 said...

I'm impressed with your list of goals.
Now of course I will be forced to write a list of my own - but unlike you - I don't know if I have the courage to put them on line!
YOU ROCK!
k2

Jill said...

You made the first step...and that was getting your list compiled and knowing what you have to do. Keep it posted where you can see it and you can cross them off as you complete them :) Good luck!

Lisa said...

We just started a class with our church. It is called Financial Peace University. We are really trying to get our finances in order. You should check it out. There is bound to be a class somewhere close to you or you could get your church to start one. http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/